The Danish Ortofon has its roots in the Electrical Phono Film Company, which was founded in 1918 by Axel Petersen and Arnold Poulsen. The goal was to develop the world's first sound synchronization system for film. During the war period, mainly microphones, dynamic compressors, oscillographs, optical instruments and accessories are developed. In 1946, the company, now called Fonofilm Industri A/S, produces the first mono cutting head for the gramophone industry. In 1948 the first Moving Coil element sees the light of day with characteristics that match the quality of the cutting head. In 1951 Ortofon was finally created under Fonofilm Industri A/S. The name is explained with the Greek “orto” which stands for “correct” and “fon” which stands for “sound”. In 1957 Ortofon made the step from mono to stereo and developed the stereo cutting head. The legendary SPU (Stereo Pick-Up) elements are manufactured in the period from '57 to '59. To date, Ortofon has not stopped delivering world-renowned elements.